About this Independent Study
At the end of this 2.5 hour program, the learner will be able to:
- Identify at least two signs & symptoms of mental illness
- Describe two ways substance use can be harmful
- Describe screening tools for mental health and substance use
- List steps CHWs can take to address mental health and substance use with their clients
Goal of the Program
- Provide basic information about mental health and substance use
- Encourage CHWs to talk more openly with their clients about their mental health concerns
- Encourage CHWs to talk more about mental health concerns within their organization
- Offer tools and resources CHWs can use to refer clients for help and support
Note: CHWs are NOT expected to diagnose or treat mental illness or substance use disorders.
Who Should Register
This course is for community health workers and other health care staff who work in the community.
Jacki Hecht, RN, MSN, CHW Instructor #579
Managing Director TCRSS Project Director Helping HAND Smoking Cessation Project , The University of Texas at Austin | School of Nursing
In association with Cardea
Continuing Education (CE)
This courses offers 2.5 DSHS-Certified Continuing Education Hours for Community Health Workers.
- Interpersonal – 1
- Capacity-Building – 1
- Knowledge Base – 0.5
Training Organization Approved by the Texas Department of State Health Services, Certification #44